Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tokyo! 東京!

Well this past weekend I finally made my first visit to Tokyo! I stayed over at my friend Chris Cutler’s apartment. Saturday morning we made our way up to the Tokyo Temple. There were 115 people in the session—way more than capacity—which was really neat to see. I even ran into some friends there. この前の週末に初めて東京に行ってきました。カトラークリスという友達の所で2泊hしました。土曜日の朝、東京神殿に入ることができました。115人の人がセッションに入ってとても混んでいました。偶然に友達にあったし、とても良かったです。


House of the Lord Holiness to the Lord (英語の訳)

It was a wonderful site to see the Angel Moroni in the middle of busy Tokyo—it seemed to be in its own little world. By the way you don’t normally get the power lines even in most professional photographs of this temple—something you don’t normally get to see! :) 忙しい東京には天使も天使モロナイを見ることはとても嬉しかったです。自分の世界に入っているようでした。普通に東京新田の絵を見る時に電気線を見れないでしょう。今回見れて良かったですね!:)

The Church Office Building a few blocks away from the temple. 神殿から少し離れている場所にある北アジア管理本部。

Here are the newly wedded Nozakis. They looked great! 野崎家の披露宴。幸せそう!

Cutting the cake. ケーキカット

So funny story. Online it said: “We would like to have a casual reception so please come in every day clothes.” Apparently “every day clothes” means “Sunday best or better” in Japan. :) Yes, there I am in jeans and a polo with a friend (Sister Taguchi who served in Provo) and Shiko and Mana Nozaki in slightly more formal clothing. :)  面白い話なんですが、「平伏で来て下さい」というようなことがウェブサイトに載っていたから、神殿の後で着替えてきました。「平服」って教会の行くための服かそれよりフォーマルな服みたいです!ジーパンとポロシャツです。プロボで伝道していた田口姉妹と野崎シコウとマナ(もうちょっとフォーマル服でしょう:)と一緒に立っています。

I also met up with a group of other Nagoya Mission Alumni. This is Sister Kawakita and her 1 ½ year old son. She and I were in the same 1st district together in Osaka 5 ½ years ago. 以前に名古屋伝道部で働いてきた宣教師達に会いました。これはかわきた姉妹と彼女の一歳半の息子です。5年半前に、最初に働いていたディストリクトは一緒でした。
After the wedding reception, Chris guided me around Harajuku (apparently the clothing fashion origin for Japan) to a quiet forested area with the famous Meiji Shrine. 披露宴の後で、クリス君ははらじゅく(日本のファッションのもとみたい)を案内してくれて、近くの森に囲まれている明治神宮まで行きました。 The main priest from this Shinto Shrine came for a brief time to BYU to study the Church’s youth. President Eyring and some other church leaders since then visited this shrine last year. ここからの神主が教会の若い人たちを研究するために、しばらくブリガムヤング大学に来ていました。去年アイリング管長と他の教会の指導者はここを訪問しましました。
This is one of the famous drums that are sounded 108 times during Oshogatsu (New Years)—once for every sin committed each year. お正月の時に108回叩く太鼓です。すべての罪のために叩くそうです。

Here people write their prayers and attach in order for them to be heard and answered. ここで祈りの答えのために祈りを書いてつけるところです。 This is just outside the shrine where you wash/purify yourself before entering (…the temple…sounds familiar…). 神宮のすぐ外のところです。ここで自分を洗って清めなければなりません。(神殿。。。なんか。。。)
Next stop in our picture journey (after getting some heavenly milk shakes in McDonalds-it was really hot out) is Shibuya Eki. Shibuya is famous for Hachiko the ever faithful dog that would always watch for his master to come home from work. The legend has it that once his master died Hachiko waited and waited until he passed away also. 次は、(マクドナルドでミルクシェークを飲んでからー外は暑かった!)渋谷駅。帰りのマスターをずっと待っていたハチコという忠実な犬で有名な駅です。伝説では、マスターがなくなってからも、ハチコは死ぬまでずっと待っていたそうです。 Shibuya is also famous for being the busiest pedestrian intersection in the world. This happens every 5 minutes or so. Reminds me of Where’s Waldo… (not included in picture). 渋谷といえば、世界では一番歩行者が混雑しているところだそうです。これ5分ぐらいことに起こる出来事です。 Here’s a statue of Hachiko. Apparently somewhere they have him taxidermied. ハチコです。どっかで剥製術のハチコがいるみたいです。 Here’s a group of friends who I met up at Shibuya and we went out for Shabushabu (thinly sliced pork and beef that you boil in hot water at you table) and Sukiyaki (similar idea except instead of just water a sauce is added to the water and you dip it into a raw egg before you eat) tabehodai (all-you-can-eat). Don’t worry Mom there were some vegetables and tofu as well. Mmmmmmmmm......From right to left: Me, Orie, Meiko Harada (recently baptized), Lisa Nozaki, Chris Cutler and a brother (Collin?) who had entered the MTC to learn Japanese the same month I started working at the MTC. 渋谷で待ち合わせをしていた友達です。一緒にしゃぶしゃぶとすき焼き食べ放題を食べに行きました。野菜と豆腐はちゃっと入っていたから母ちゃん心配しないでね。美味しかった!右から:僕、オリエ、原田美枝子(新会員)、野崎リサ、カトラークリス、そしてある兄弟(名前なんだっけ?)。この兄弟が、私が丁度MTCで働き始めたころ日本を学ぶためにMTCに入った時でした。
Sunday after a great time at the Kasai Ward. Chris I went further in town to this 45 story building with a lookout point. It’s a little ways up! 日曜日、笠井ワードに訪問しました。クリスと私がこの45回の都庁という建物に上って、展望台から眺めました。高い!

Tokyo: Take 1! 東京(その1)!
Take 2! その2!

Take 3!  その3!

Take 4!  その4!
This is interesting. Do you see the tracks on the very edges of the building? Those are apparently for window washers to attach to and roll around. Do they have those in America? Also see the green patch in the middle? Yep, a couple people enjoyed some roof tennis! これは面白いと思います。建物の端の所にあるレールが見えますか。建物の窓を洗う人たちのためだそうです。アメリカにもあるかな。。。また、建物の上にあるテニスコートで遊んでいる人もいますよ!
Another view down. 下への観点。
This is a very important picture. This is the building in which I took the pictures above. As I reached inside my bag for my camera I realized that I had left it up at the top! By the time I went back up, my camera was already in the lost and found on the 1st floor. Good thing I wanted to take this picture—we rode the train right after this...bye bye camera! これはとても大切な写真です。上の写真を撮った建物です。建物の写真を撮ろうと思って、かばんの中をカメラのために探していたところで、カメラを45階に置きっぱなしで出ちゃったと気づきました!また、上まで上ったら、もう下の方に預かっていました。この写真を撮りたくて良かった!この後すぐ電車に乗ったところ。。。バイバイカメラ!
Talk about good timing! Chris took me to Yasukuni Shrine just in time for a Festival! Sign says: Hikari no Saiten (Light Festival); Mitama Matsuri (The Festival of Ancestors Spirits) and the dates: July 13-16. いいタイミングでした。クリスと丁度祭りが始まっているところの靖国神社まで行ってきました。
Talk about one huge crowd! This probably stretched for about a mile with street vendors along the way. ビックリするほど混雑していました!多分2-3キロメーテルぐらいでした。
Cute Japanese girls all dressed up for the festival. ゆかたを着ている可愛い女の子たち。
These lanterns made up a great wall along most of the way. たくさんのランタンが道を囲みました。
2 Mikoshi (similar to the arc of the covenant…) were carried energetically (the carriers were bouncing all the way!) all the way down the street. 二つの神輿(制約の箱?みたい)が勢いよく道を運ばれていました。
Women dressed in kimonos who danced a festival danced when the music came on. 着物を着ているお嬢様たち。後で祭りの踊りをしました。
A lot of girls and women dressed in yukatas (summer kimonos) for the festival. Some guys were also dressed up. たくさんの女の人はゆかたを着ました。何人かの男の人もそうでした。
Another view of the street from near the other side. 道の他の観点から
More lanterns off to the side at the other end of the street near the shrines buildings. 神社の建物の近くにあるランタン。

Yasukuni Shrine. 靖国神社。
Another cute Japanese girl looking at the lanterns. もう一人のランタンを見ている可愛い日本人の女の子。 Thank you Tokyo! 東京ありがとう!

No comments: