Monday, July 28, 2008

Sekime!   関目!

This past weekend I headed out for my very first area in Osaka, Japan. It was wonderful to be back.
この前の週末に伝道中の最初のエリアの大阪に戻りました。とても楽しかったです。

After both getting to the eki (train station) early and then wandering around Osaka Eki trying to find each other, Okazaki shimai and I went out for a Viking lunch (All-You-Can-Eat Buffet) on the 20 something floor in the train station building. 大阪駅で35分ぐらい迷ってきてやっと友達を見つけました。駅の建物の一番上の階でヴィキングで食べました。岡崎しまいです。View from the restaurant floor. レストランにある階の展望。


Next we headed to Namba. A lot of shops. This is a Takoyaki place (umm batter balls with octopus...hmmm...how to explain...) 次は難波。たこ焼を食べたいね。
This place smelled soooooo good...mmmm crab......カニ屋。信じられないほど美味しい匂いがしている。 Looking down the street. 道。
This was an inside street mall. The shops are supposed to represent what Osaka used to look like. There are a bunch of little shops and restaurants on the inside. この建物の中に伝統的な屋台がいっぱいありました。古い大阪の雰囲気でした。
Shotengai-Mall (outside but covered) 商店街。
Next stop, Tsutenkaku!  次は通天閣!

This is a famous kushi katsu (scewer cutlet) place where Okazaki shimai took me. I was already full, but I had to have the experience. :)  有名な串かつのところみたい。おなかいっぱいなのに、経験のために行かないといけなかったでしょうね。
Looking good! いいね。
This is the Billiken display. びりけん像の展示。The is the famous Billken (Biriken) statue. You make your wish and rub his feet for it to come true.  これは有名なびりけん像なんです。足のところを撫でるなら、願いがかなえそうです。
So many people have rubbed his feet that there are now great gapping holes in them.
たくさんの人に撫でられてきたので、もう大きな穴ができています。 `I wish to live in Hawaii...` 「ハワイに住みたい。。。」Here`s the view from the top. Looks like Osaka! 展望から。大阪って感じじゃない?


Here`s how far up we were. 高かった。




After dinner at the Kurokawa family`s house. Left to right Ring choro and Allen choro (I taught Allen choro), me, Marcus (from Sweden), Mr. Kurokawa. Bottom is Okazaki shimai and Kurokawa shimai. I spent the night at the Kurokawas. Yes they have dogs, three in fact!
黒川家での夕食。上の左から:リング長老、アレン長老、僕、マルコス、黒川さん。下の左から:岡崎姉妹と黒川姉妹。黒川家で3匹のワンちゃんと一緒に一泊しました。Sekime church. 関目ワードの教会。
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints  末日生徒イエス・キリスト教会
This is a very important building. This the marker we would use when explaining the church`s location to people. `Go to Life (name of store), turn left and follow the street until the church appears on the right!` これはとても大切な建物です。伝道中に教会の場所について説明していた時に、説明の中でこの建物をよく使いました。「ライフまで行って、左に曲がって、しばらく道成で、教会は右側」
This is also a very important building. It is the very first McDonalds (makudonarudo) I ate it in Japan!  これもとても大切な建物です。実は日本に着いて初めて日本のマクドナルドで食べたのはここでした!
This is the parking lot I parked at as an assistant for the night. Now that I can read some of the signs and can see that we weren`t supposed to park there... :) アシスタントだった時にある夜ここで車を止めました。その時、「駐車禁止」は読めなかったね。。。:)
Street on the way up to my old apartment. 最初の日本でのアパートへの道。
Nearby Dry Cleaners :)  前に使ったクリーニング屋。
Just a little bit further, over the bridge and there`s the apartment on the left!  後、もう少し。端を渡ったらアパートは右側にあります!
Wa la!  アパートだ!
Here`s the front where we parked our bikes.  以前にアパートの前で自転車を止めたところ。
Looks like the current missionaries do too. 今の宣教師達もそうみたいですね。
Down the street from my apartment. Oh the nostalgia! アパートの前の道。懐かしい!
Nakajima san was one of our investigators. He treated me to an M-size (medium) strawberry milk shake and then rode the chikatetsu (subway) to the Osaka Eki with me. 中島さんは私の求道者の一人でした。Mサイズのイチゴミルクシェークをおごってもらってから、大阪駅まで一緒に行ってくれました。
Shotengai across the street. 道を渡った商店街。
Looking in the shotengai the other direction! 逆方向の商店街。
Oh Osaka! 大阪!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to live in that same apartment!

Corey said...

Dreamcatcher-you did? Remind me who this is...
Thanks for your comment!